Pearl Street United Methodist Church
Thursday, May 23, 2013
We are looking for pearls for Jesus.
A century of finding pearls ....
Pearl Street United Methodist Church has been on the corner of Pearl and Second streets in Lancaster, PA, since 1905. Actually, we’ve been in Lancaster since 1847, when our congregation was founded as Salem Church, a mission church of the old Evangelical Association, at 134 N. Water St. Until 1900, worship services were held in German.
In 1905, the church relocated to Pearl and Second, which was then mostly farm fields. Ground was broken for the church building that year. Construction cost $13,000. Until the building was finished, the congregation worshiped in a rented house on Coral Street and in a tent in the field across from the church. When a windstorm destroyed the tent, members of the church built a frame shed at the back of the lot where the church was being built.
So we’re a congregation that perseveres in the face of challenge …. then and now.
There have been expansions and changes to the red-brick building over the century. The sanctuary was rearranged. Men of the church hand-dug a basement when space was needed for a fellowship hall. A row home next to the church was bought to provide office and classroom space.
Our affiliation changed from the Evangelical Association to Evangelical United Brethren. Pearl Street became part of the United Methodist denomination in 1968, when the former Methodist and Evangelical United Brethren churches merged.
We celebrated our 100th anniversary in 2005 and rededicated the renovated fellowship hall as Barth Hall, honoring the Rev. George Barth, who pastored the church for nearly 30 years.
We are a welcoming congregation committed to the United Methodist Church’s Wesleyan heritage and to offering “Open Hearts, Open Minds, Open Doors” to the community.